McInally Accepts Lowe Award From Gridiron Club of Boston

By Barry R. Sloane

Senior wide receiver Pat McInally last night was presented the George Bulger Lowe award from the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston. McInally becomes the 36th New England college football player, and the fifth from Harvard, to win this award for "excellence in performance and value to his team."

All-American McInally flew in for the ceremonies from the training camp in Mobile, Ala., where he is preparing for the North-South Senior Bowl game on Saturday. The 6 ft. 6 in. McInally sheds his amateur status in the Senior Bowl where he will receive his first playing salary.

Will Turn Pro

Being a professional has "changed the atmosphere of football, the pro coaches make the training just like a rookie camp," he said last night.

McInally said that the seriousness of Senior Bowl is in contrast to last week's Hula Bowl game when "we couldn't believe we were playing a game, but it was great experience and everyone was having a great time."

"My punting and kicking in the bowl games will enhance my chances in the profootball draft on January 28," McInally said. He said he hopes to play professional ball for three to five years and then go to the Harvard Business School.

Guest speaker at the dinner was former Crimson halfback Bobby Leo '67, who was awarded the Lowe trophy in 1966 and coached McInally as a freshman. He said, "even in the pros I haven't seen many people catch the ball with the ability Pat has, and he made some catches that I still can't believe."

McInally joins Harvard football greats Endicott "Chub" Peobody '42, Chet Boulris '60, and Leo as Lowe award winners.