Harvard, 'Cliffe Sailing Teams Take Firsts in Weekend Races

By Audrey H. Ingber

After a weekend crammed full of regattas, the Harvard and Radcliffe sailing teams returned last Sunday with one first place trophy each along with several less successful finishes.

On Saturday the Harvard sailors captured the Arthur Knapp trophy by sweeping the Big Three regatta, held on the Charles. The Harvard team easily defeated Yale and Princeton, cruising out ahead by a 30-point margin. Skippering the Crimson victory were Tom Reps, Jim Hamitt and Tony Legett.

In an abbreviated series of three races at Tufts, also held Saturday, other members of the Harvard team showed poorly in their bid for the Lane trophy, failing to finish in the top three.

One Point Behind

In the elimination races held at the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn. on Sunday, skippers Tony Legett and Scott Hundahl qualified for the New England Sloop Championships. Legett finished just one point behind last year's New England Champion, James McCreary from Tufts.

Back on the Charles that same day, the Harvard sailors finished second to MIT in the race for the Wood Memorial Trophy. Although the Crimson Varsity led their division, the junior varsity finished last and the freshmen finished second, pulling Harvard into second place overall.

Coach Mike Horn said Monday night he "expects that the freshman will come along with more training. We've had only one week of practice, and that was full of bad weather," he said.

At the Dartmouth invitational also held on Sunday, Harvard's freshmen, Doug Wright and Andrew Estathaniou, sailed into fourth place while at the Harvard invitational co-skippers Jim Morse and Jon Polonski finished seventh.

The Radcliffe team took its trophy on Sunday at Boston University. An eight point margin over MIT and BU gave them the President's Trophy, for the first time since 1972.

In the A-division Captain Pam Mack cruised to three first place finishes, along with a second and a fourth. Co-skippering in the B-division were Sarah Herrick, who captured two firsts and one second place finish, and Lora Fleming, who finished first twice, but disqualified once for failing to leave enough room rounding the mark.

On Saturday Herrick took second place at the Stonehill regatta at Sharon, Massachusetts. Meanwhile at MIT, Mack also took second place in the Cape Cod Tech regatta, failing to maintain her lead during the last race.

Coach Horn said Monday night: "The varsity is going to be very good this year. And as for Radcliffe, we have more good woman skippers than we've had in a long time. We have four good ones, which is more than any other team in New England."