City Council Gives Mayor Control Over Task Force

By Barry R. Sloane

The Cambridge City Council voted last might to transfer the Harvard Square Task Force from the Jurisdiction of the city manager to the mayor, in an apparent move to reduce liberal influence on the last force.

The Independent sponsored order posted by a 5-4 vote. Councilor Francis H. Duehay '55 moved for reconsideration of the measure, delaying its implementation until a new vote is taken at the next meeting.

Mayor Walter J. Sullivan, who cosponsored the order, said after the meeting that the task force, which opposed the construction of the Kennedy museum in the Square, had overstepped its bounds." Sullivan said the council's action could be considered a reaction to the loss of the Kennedy museum to Cambridge.

Replacements Ahead

Sullivan said that he would "look over the membership and decide which members should be replaced to insure that it represents the interests of all the citizens of Cambridge."

Duehay said that the order is without legal force because the council and the mayor do not have any authority over a body appointed and established by the city manager.

He called the vote a "non-event" and said it reflects five of the councilors' disapproval of the task force's reports on the Kennedy Library.

Councilor David A. Wylie, who voted against the order, said last night that it "doesn't seem consonant" with the charter of the city government that vests all control over city appointees with the city manager.

However, he said, there could be some question over the manager's authority because of the advisory nature of the task force. He said a legal decision may be necessary on the task force question.

'No Malice'

Councilor Leonard Russell, who voted for the measure, said that there was "no malice" Involved in the vote. But he said that membership of the task force "tends to be off balance" in regard to reflecting the views of all the citizens of Cambridge.

Donald C. Moulton, assistant vice-president for community affairs and a member of the task force, said last night that he would like to know why the action was taken before commenting.

But he said that the task force is a "diversified group that has accomplished a good deal of very important work."

Check Legality

Pamela Gifford, a member of the task force, said that she would lke to look into the legality of the move and that she hopes the task force will continue to work hard and in good faith.

Earlier in the meeting Councilor Saundra Graham tabled an independent-sponsored order to reaffirm the council's previous invitation to the entire Kennedy Library complex including the museum. Graham also tabled another order introduced by Councilor Barbara Ackermann to urge the construction of the archives and a memorial park on the site of the Bennett Street MBTA yards.

Ackermann said a "united effort was needed" by the entire council behind the construction of the complex without the museum