Polo Club Defeats Yale By One Goal In 'Sloppy' Contest

By Barry R. Sloane

The Harvard Polo Club narrowly defeated a surprisingly fast Yale team, 14-13, Saturday night.

The Yale team led the scoring throughout the first three periods, and only a fourth-quarter rally by the Harvard horsemen provided the margin of victory.

Senior captain Garrick Steele said Yale "played pretty well, and was ahead most of the game," mounting up a 7-5 lead at halftime. He said the gap began to close in the last quarter which began with Yale ahead by one goal.

'A Little Cocky'

Steele said the reason for the unexpectedly close game was that "we didn't play very well and were a little cocky" after crushing Yale two weeks ago by a score of 15-8. He said the team expected an even easier match with the home turf advantage Saturday night.

The game was plagued with penalties and was a sloppily played game by both sides according to Steele; however, Harvard was "much more sloppy" than Yale and was forced to yield seven penalty shots on goal.

They Shoot Poloists, Don't They?

"We were slow, they were quicker and were beating us to the ball, but we settled down and got a little bit mad in the fourth period and came out ahead," Steele said.

The scoring in the game was evenly divided between the three-man team, with Steele scoring five goals. Jay Romph four, and Don Weinberg four.

Two Most Difficult

Saturday night's game at the Rock Meadow Stables in Rowley gives the Harvard club a 3-1 season record approaching their two most difficult games of the season. This Saturday night the Harvard trio faces a strong Cornell squad in Ithaca. N.Y. and the following Saturday, March 1, they square-off against the defending national champions, the University of Connecticut.

Steele said the team expects to increase the pace of its practice schedule because of the two upcoming close games and the intercollegiate tournament which will be held in mid March in Darien, Connecticut.