Dunlop Likely to Become New Secretary of Labor

By Ron Davis

John T. Dunlop, Lamont University Professor and former director of the Cost of Living Council, is expected to be nominated soon for a position as Secretary of Labor, sources in Washington said yesterday.

A press side to present Secretary of Labor Peter J. Brennan told the Crimson yesterday he expects Brennan to be leaving soon and that Dunlop will be nominated shortly, but exactly when is uncertain.

The White House would not confirm the reports.

Dunlop's wife, Dorothy W. Dunlop, said yesterday "It's more than just rumor about him being asked, but it's a complicated process, and I really can't say much about."

Charles Bartlett, a syndicated columnist who had speculated earlier about Dunlop's appointment, told the Crimson yesterday there are other possible candidates for the position.

"Bill Usery, head of the Federal Mediation and Conciliatory Service, is another possibility, but my impression is that the odds are leaning in Dunlop's favor," he said. He added "Albert Reese, chairman of the Wage and Price Stability Council, is returning to Princeton, so they will need Dunlop's expertise."

Sources said that Dunlop would restore the department's role in the economic policy-making process.

Dunlop was dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences until January 1973, when he assumed his position as director of the Cost of Living Council. He held the position until the council's authority expired last April.

He remained a Lamont University Professor and returned to Harvard this fall. The University professorship entitles Dunlop to teach in any department in the University.

Dunlop has been teaching in the Economics Department and at the Harvard Business School.

President Bok, when asked yesterday if Dunlop would lose his university professorship by accepting the position as Secretary, said: "Technically, the rules require that he relinquish his chair if he would be away for more than two years, but if he notified us that his absence would not be any more than two years, he would not be required to relinquish his chair."

Dunlop returned to Boston from Washington last night, but could not be reached for comment.