Seniors Invite Muhammad Ali For Class Day

The senior class marshals yesterday extended an invitation to Muhammad Ali to speak here on Class Day after Bill Cosby and Mel Brooks declined invitations.

Harden H. Weidemann '75, chairman of the Class Day Committee, said yesterday that "more people have spoken to me about getting Ali than anyone else."

$3000 Fee

Ali usually commands a $3000 fee for speaking, but the committee is hoping he will make an exception for Harvard, which only offers its Class Day speakers travelling expenses. Weidemann said.

Cosby told the committee he receivers so many requests to speak at universities that he has made it a policy to decline all of them, and Brooks said that he is working on a script and is too busy to speak here.

Peter A. Carfagna '75, a member of the committee, said yesterday that they have been trying to contact Ali by telephone since Friday, but have only been able to reach his personal manager so far.

Ali's Big Chance

"We feel that we're getting close to the final date." Carfagna said, adding that he thinks Ali may appreciate the chance to reach such a large audience.

Other speakers on the list of alternatives to Ali include Hunter S. Thompson, Katherine Graham, Judge John Sirica and Richard Nixon.

Seniors were asked earlier this year to suggest names of speakers for Class Day, and the committee chose the most frequently mentioned names.

Weidemann said he did not know who will be asked if Ali declines to speak here, but Carfagna said he thought Hunter Thompson may be the most likely candidate.