Corporation Votes Change in Funding Of Police Services

By Howard Frant

The Corporation had approved a new method of allocating police services that permits the police department to assign officers without regard to the financial contribution made by various parts of the University.

Previously, the faculties and other University institutions had, in effect, bought each year a certain number of policemen, who were required to work in those specific areas.

David L. Gorski, chief of the University Police, has said in the past that the old system prevented him from assigning man where they were needed.

"It really wasn't equitable--the new system makes eminently more sense," Stephen S.J. Hall, vice president for administration, said yesterday.

Although the change was approved by the Council of Deans. Gorski said there had been "reticence" on the part of some faculties. "The faculties are giving up some control over their destinies with regard to security," he said.

Elementary, My Dear Watson

"The logic of the move is understood, accepted and approved. Hall said, adding that concern over the change was "understandable."

Gorski said that some internal reorganizations are also in progress or under consideration.