The Class, Entering

By Amy Wilentz

On September 23, 1971, the Class of 1975 jammed into Sanders Theater to hear then dean of the Faculty John T. Dunlop tell them to make "balanced considerations of freedom and security, growth and stability, idealism and practicality." It's hard to day whether the class took Dunlop's advice, whether its members of Harvard changed substantially while they were ere. The institution underwent some institutional adjustments, most of them having to do with President Bok, whose first year in office was the class's freshman year.

It was the last class admitted under the old 4-1 male-female ratio; only 338 of its members were women when it entered, while the next Radcliffe class numbered 450. It was the last class whose men spent all their freshman year in the Yard, and when freshman women, who lived in the Quad, entered the Union the men there booed or cheered them.

As freshmen, 41 per cent of the class intended to major in the Natural Sciences, 34 per cent in the Social Sciences, and 22 per cent in the Humanities: 3 per cent were undecided. As with most other classes, this disparity equalized eventually, and the Natural Sciences lost many prospective concentrators to the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Minority groups were admitted in the same percentages in the class of 1975 as in previous classes. Only one American Indian (from Wyoming) came to Harvard in 1971, and none came to Radcliffe. The sons of the presidents of Columbia and Yale both entered in the class William Buckley's son was admitted, but went to Yale instead. Though Harvard applications declined substantially (from 8,000 in 1970 to 6,850 in 1971), the class was the largest ever--larger even than the classes of 1976 and 77. Fifty-six per cent of the Harvard class and 33 per cent of the Radcliffe class received financial aid. Sixty-five per cent of the class went to public schools, a slightly higher percentage than in preceding years. However, more students were accepted from traditional prep schools than in the previous several years.

Baskin-Robbins came to Bow Street in the fall of 1971, with the class. Bursar's cards had photographic identification for the first time. The Lampoon went co-ed. The manager of the Club Casablanca, Govert K. van Schaik '62, was shot to death at the Club during prime drinking hours. The SDS still made news. Students continued to occupy administration buildings on campuses across the nation, and in April a group of Harvard students took over Massachusetts Hall for a week.

In his first Annual Report to the Overseers, Bok, commenting on the quieter mood on campus, said that "students were more occupied with learning." He noted also at Harvard a new awareness of the interests of women and minority groups.

Fifteen per cent of the Harvard class of 1975 are alumni sons, and 12 per cent of the Radcliffe class are alumni daughters. Twenty per cent of the fathers of the Harvard class of 1975 received no college education. Sixty-three per cent are professionals 19 per cent are white-collar workers and 11 per cent are blue-collar workers. Thirty-five fathers are listed under the category of "writer, artist, musician."

The Class of 1975 is fairly traditional in its composition; its makeup geographically, economically, and socially is similar to that of preceding and succeeding classes. According to admissions office officials, who keep an eye on such things, it is, like all its predecessors and successors the smartest class ever to attend Harvard.