Bank Interview Sign-Ups Draw Hundreds Into Rainy Morning

By Jay Yeager

Nearly 100 students lined up outside the door of the Office of Career Services and Off-Campus Learning (OCS-OCL) at 8:30 a.m. Monday, one week after President Ford's State of the Union address, to sign up for placement interviews with representatives of several large banking institutions.

Cammie Bryant, an OCS-OCL staff member, said yesterday it is not unusual for so many students to register for interviews in a field such as banking.

Bryant said most of the interviews were for positions in special training programs run by the banks. She said some of the programs' popularity is due to their reputation as being "good training for business school."

John B. Harris '76, one of the students to register for an interview, said he arrived at the 54 Dunster St. building at about 8 a.m. Monday, half an hour before the doors were opened.

Harris said he was there early enough to be almost guaranteed an interview.

More than 100 of the 237 students who registered had to sign a waiting list.

An even earlier bird, John R. Frantz '76 said he arrived around 7:45 a.m. Monday to stand in line and that there were only about ten people in front of him. When asked why he was there so early, Frantz replied, "It's a job, it's your life."

Frantz said the method of registration for these interviews could be improved. "There has to be a better way," he said. He added that the system was "not very fair" to those at the end of the line.