Stickwomen Succumb to Princeton

Radcliffe Suffers First Loss of Season, 1-0

By John Blondel, Special to the Crimson

PRINCETON, N.J.--The previously undefeated Radcliffe hockey team lost a classic heartbreaker, 1-0, to Princeton on Saturday at Poe Field.

The lone score of the game came nine minutes into the first half as wing Amie Knox scooped the ball into the net. Knox had just passed the ball in on a penalty corner play, but none of the inners could muster a scoring shot. Knox finally scored on a rebound.

Radcliffe played well enough to win, generating more shots on goal and a larger amount of penetration time. Yet the Crimson was stymied by the treacherous field and the same brand of luck the football team had against Cornell.

Mutilated field

Just as the multi-flex fell victim to bad footing, so too did the layered system of the hockey team. The system relies on waves of players who provide a constant back-up to the line directly in front. The field's condition, which included several sets of truck tire marks, caused the ball to constantly skitter through all the layers.

The tempo and character of the game heated up considerably in the second half as an aroused Crimson eleven kept the ball within 25 yards of the Princeton goal for twice as much time as the Tigers could keep it in the other end of the field.

The second half also included a rare incident of physical confrontation as Karen Linsley ran into the Princeton goalie at full speed while trying to score in the waning minutes of the game.

The last 30 seconds proved the most critical of the game. With the ball in the Radcliffe half, Sarah Mleczko captured it and began to bring it up. The Princeton defense failed to tackle Mleczko, who took the ball into the circle.

With four seconds left, Linda Cabot flicked a strong shot at the goalie who kicked it away. The clock ticked off the final seconds before another shot could be made and with those seconds went the chance for an undefeated campaign.