Tufts Succumbs To Stickwomen In 4-0 Laugher

By John Blondel

Sparked by Sarah Mlezcko's three goals, the Radcliffe field hockey team crushed the Jumbos of Tufts 4-0 yesterday in Medford.

Radcliffe played a steady game, scoring two goals in each half. Mlezcko, a freshman, opened the Radcliffe barrage six minutes into the first half on a fine unassisted play. Taking the ball all the way in, Mlezcko veered to the side of the net and pushed her shot past the goalie.

Rebound Shot

Nine minutes later, Lucy Wood took a pass from Karen Linsley and had her shot deflected. Gwill York recovered the ball and fired a shot that the goalie blocked, but York then scooped in her own rebound to make the score 2-0.

With 11 minutes left in the second stanza, Mlezcko slapped in her second score as the contest became a rout. At this point the Radcliffe attack increased its control of the listless Jumbo defense, while its hapless opponents failed to capitalize on the 'Cliffe's numerous defensive lapses.

"We were lucky that they weren't strong enough to take advantage of our defensive weak points," coach Debi Field said yesterday. "We were reacting rather than anticipating," she added.

After the goal, the only question left was whether or not Mlezcko would get a hat trick. She eventually did, off a pass with ten minutes left in the contest.

Goose-Eggs

Goalie Ellen Seidler registered her first shutout, turning away all seven shots by the Tufts attackers. Radcliffe had an impressive 16 shots at the Jumbo netminder.

Field was pleased with her team's performance as they bettered their record to 2-0. "The attack played well and we had control of the game," she explained.

The J.V.'s suffered a disappointing 0-0 tie with Tufts after the varsity contest yesterday. Radcliffe could not slip any of its 7 shots into the net. Meanwhile, Dajeen Ashamu stopped the four shots that Tufts offered.