Udall Pulls Overflow Sanders Crowd

'Good Campaign Omen'

By Clark Mason

Rep. Morris Udall (D-Ariz.), a democratic presidential candidate, last night called an overflow crowd he attracted to Sanders Theatre "a good omen for his campaign."

"This can be the place where the Udall campaign really took off," Udall said, repeating a comment he made Tuesday night in New Hampshire.

"We're going to live in a time of scarce resources," Udall said. "The story of the '70s and '80s is going to be how we adapt to these changes."

Udall said that "the biggest belts ought to be tightened," and called for a breakup of business conglomerates. Rather than using existing anti-trust laws, he called for a new statue that would require companies engaged in more than one area of business to break up into separate companies after two years.

Udall called for full employment, a central theme of his campaign. He disagreed with the idea that full employment causes inflation, and said that if it does "we'll deal with inflation directly."

Udall said that choosing between jobs and the environment is a phony choice. "We'll have an administration that will protect and defend the land, and we'll get American people jobs at the same time," he said.

Asked why he supported the Wyman amendment to deny federal educational funds to any student involved in disruptive activities on campus, Udall said, "If I had that vote to cast over again, I'd cast it the other way."

"There was a period in the '60s when I was in a marginal district in Goldwater country, and I was not out in front on every liberal issue of the day, but that was my position," Udall said.

Archibald Cox '34, who introduced Udall, said that those who support liberal causes should get together behind Udall, "instead of scattering our strength."