Bayh Backs Busing in Speech, Promises More Jobs, Loans

By Mark D. Stegall

Sen Birch Bayh (D.Ind.) said yesterday in a campaign speech at Boston University that he favors forced busing to achieve school desegregation.

Speaking before about 300 people, Bayh said, "What we really want is equal education opportunities for all and if this requires busing then busing must be kept."

Bayh attacked President Ford's spending cutbacks in the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. "The way to end our country's economic problems is not by cutting back spending, but by creating more jobs," Bayh said.

He added, "The way to turn the economy around is to get money into the private sector of the nation by lowering interest rates on government loans and by creating jobs in the public sector such as the rebuilding of the nation's railroads."

Bayh was received unenthusiastically at first by the students, but was given a standing ovation after answering questions for over an hour.

Asserting that students will determine the outcome of the presidential election, Bayh encouraged students to "get involved in a presidential campaign, even if it is another candidate's campaign."

Frances Randall, a Boston University senior, said she "just came to hear what he had to say," and added, "There are so many candidates, I'm still trying to make up my mind."

Bayh spoke for only ten minutes, then asked for questions from the standing-room-only crowd of students at Boston University's Morse Auditorium. He said he knew "how much students liked to ask questions."

When asked if his campaign is going bankrupt, Bayh said he will enough money for the New England primaries. Bayh has been hampered by the federal election law limiting campaign contributions to $1,000 and because, he said, he started his fund-raising drive later than most other candidates.