Canada Funds Lecture Series; New Literature Course Offered

By Mark D. Stegall

The Canadian government will sign an agreement today with the Department of English and American Literature and Language to sponsor a lecture series this spring on Canadian literature.

The lectures, which will be given by one American and five Canadian literary figures, will complement a new course in Canadian literature being offered this semester.

The Canadians' grant of more than $2000 is intended to "increase awareness and understanding of Canada both within the University and in the community at large," according to a news release of the Canadian government last week. The release also said the funding is "a part of Canada's salute to the U.S. Bicentennial."

David M. Staines, assistant professor of English and teacher of the new course, said yesterday that Jean-Louis Delisle, the Consul General of Canada, will present the funds to David D. Perkins, chairman of the department, at 12:30 p.m. today.

Staines said the new course, English 183, "Twentieth Century Canadian Literature," will be "the first course of its kind given at a university with the stature of Harvard."

"Harvard has many courses in the history and literature of many countries, yet no courses are being taught about Canada, our nearest neighbor," Staines said.

"Most people know nothing about Canada, our closest friend both culturally and economically," Staines added.

The seminar speakers include Marshall McLuhan, Hugh MacLennan, a Canadian novelist and essayist, and Northrup Frye, who was Norton Visiting Professor of Poetry here last year.

The other speakers will be Margaret Atwood, a poet and novelist, Marine Leland, an American who will speak on French Canadian literature, and Brian Parker, who will discuss Canadian drama.

Staines said that the seminars will be given only this spring but the course will be offered in alternating years. He said he will probably teach a course on Canadian fiction next spring