Task Force Rally On Discrimination To Be Held Today

By Mark D. Stegall

The Harvard-Radcliffe Task Force on Affirmative Action will sponsor a demonstration at Mass Hall this afternoon opposing discrimination against women and minority groups at Harvard.

The demonstration is being held in conjunction with the first week of investigation of Harvard's Affirmative Action proposals by a committee from the Department of Health, Education and Welfare(HEW).

William G. Fletcher '76, a spokesman for the Task Force, said yesterday the "rally will show the HEW group that many people at Harvard are angry with Harvard's Affirmative Action Plan."

Fletcher said that he hopes several hundred people will demonstrate, adding, "if people turn out in mass, there is no telling what we can do."

Five to Speak

Five people will speak at the rally, including Fletcher and a member of the Committee to Reinstate Sherman Holcombe.

The HEW's Office of Civil Rights will begin examining Harvard's compliance with equal rights guidelines this week and the task force wants to insure that federal officials don't put a "rubber stamp" on the existing program, Fletcher said.

"The opportunity has fallen into our hands to bring forth the issues and to force the government to do something about discrimination at Harvard," Fletcher said.

The demonstration will be held at 2 p.m.