Swimmers Finish Second in Easterns

Pyle's Backstroke Win Leads Crimson Surge

By James W. Reinig

Bolstered by strong performances in the backstroke and diving events on Saturday, the Harvard swim team cruised to a solid second place finish in the Eastern Seaboard Swimming Championships held at Yale last weekend.

Princeton easily won the meet (344 points) with the Crimson (253 points) handily outdistancing Dartmouth (223

Sophomore Duncan Pyle edged teammate Kevin O'Connell to win the 200 yard backstroke in 1:55.5. The Crimson duo's times qualified them for the NCAA swimming championships to be held in three weeks. Harvard's Myles Standish took seventh place in the race.

Crimson diving sensation Dave English added a fine third place showing in the three-meter diving to go along with his victory in the one-meter on Thursday. Dartmouth's John Evans won the event with Ardyn Smith from Cornell coming in second.

English was second after the preliminary rounds of three-meter diving on Friday but did not have one of his best nights on Saturday and slipped to third.

Harvard aerialists Roger Johannigman and Mike Toal took sixth and seventh places respectively in the three-meter while Tom Cook nabbed the eleventh position.

In the 1650 freestyle, Paco Canales swam his lifetime best (16:17.8) to come in ninth place. Tiger star Joe Loughran shone in the event as he handily won in 15:44.8.

Peter Tetlow swam the best time of his life in the heats of the 200 butterfly (1:54.3), but could not match it in the finals on Saturday night (1:55.6) and ended up eighth in the race. Cornell's Bob Meade, who placed a close second to the Crimson's George Keim in the 100 fly on Friday, won the 200 fly in 1:52.0.

Tiger Power

Chuck Hector from Princeton completed his sweep of the breaststroke events as he won the 200 breast in an amazing time of 2:05, less than two seconds away from the best time swum by an American collegian this year.

In the 100 free, Malcolm Cooper took eighth place for Harvard. Chuck Felice, who anchored the winning Fordham 400 free relay squad, took the race in a blazing 46.04. The Crimson free relay team (Tim Neville, Keim, Wes Raffel, and Cooper) swam to a sixth place finish.

Army's Ted Kanamine, who took the 200 individual medley and the 200 freestyle, won the Phil Moriarty Trophy for scoring the most points in the meet.

Princeton rushed out to a commanding lead on Thursday and glided easily to the meet victory. On the first day of competition, the Tigers won the 50 free (Fred Test), 500 free (Loughran) and the 400 medley relay and although Harvard had strong backup performances, it could only take one event--the one-meter diving (English).

Harvard actually outscored Princeton on the second day (89-88) as Keim won the 100 fly, O'Connell took second in the 100 back and again a number of Crimson swimmers picked up points in lower positions. This surge put Harvard out in front of Dartmouth for good.