Bomb Scare Empties Currier, North House Tutor Attacked

By The CRIMSON Staff and Jay Yeager

The Currier House bells desk received a bomb threat at 12:40 a.m. this morning, prompting the House Masters and Harvard police to order evacuation of Currier buildings while the House was searched.

A male caller told Jeremy C. Gelb '76, who was in charge of the bells desk, "Currier House will be blown off the map in half an hour." Gelb notified Paul and Barbara Rosencrantz, Currier House Co-Masters, and also notified Harvard police.

The half-hour deadline passed without incident and police allowed students to re-enter the House after a search was concluded at 1:20 a.m.

Some two hours earlier, a North House tutor, Claudia Hexter, was reported injured by an assailant wielding a knife. Several North House residents said late last night that they had heard screaming around 10:30 p.m., and that rumors quickly spread that a tutor had been attacked. Police reportedly described the attacker to North House residents as a white male, 24 years of age.

One North House resident said that police surrounded the House shortly after the screams were heard. A spokesman for the Harvard police would not comment on the incident.