French Leftist Leader Moynod Speaks on Political Split

By Andrew P. Buchsbaum

A leader of France's largest communist union said yesterday he expects the rift between the French Communist and Socialist parties to disappear before France's general election in March.

Jean Louis Moynod, Secretary-General of the Confederation General de Travail (CGT), spoke in French at Dunster House last night.

Janice McCormick, teaching fellow in the Government Department, translated for members of the press.

If the Communist and Socialist parties would unite before March, the left would win the upcoming elections, Moynad said, adding that a continued division between the two parties would probably mean a victory for the right.

Moynod said the Communists and Socialists will eventually rejoin forces under the Common Program, a general platform that united the two parties in 1972 over broad issues such as nationalization of industry and fiscal reform.

The two parties differ in the extent of nationalization they say would best serve the nation, Moynod said. The Common Program does not specify the number of factories and industries to be nationalized to avoid conflict on this issue.

He said the CGT will not endorse a political party, since the "trade unions are not primarily ideologically based."

The CGT does take positions on specific issues, he added.