Sullivan Leads Radcliffe Romp To Ivy Cross-Country Title

By Peter R. Reynolds

Victory comes from hard work and speed, not to mention many other intangibles--such as desire to win, spirit and luck that distinguish a team from its competitors. These ingredients, which sustained the Radcliffe cross-country team throughout the season, produced a final sweet victory in this year's Ivy League championships held at New Haven Friday.

In a raw 35 mile per hour wind, the Radcliffe runners were faster than the women of any other Ivy League college for the second straight season. No other team has held the title, since this marks only the second year of the women's Ivy championship.

Anne Sullivan outran Sue Adams of Brown by 17:41 to 18:20 for an easy first place victory. Behind the fleet-footed freshman came Johanna Forman. Sarah Linsley and Katherine Taylor in fourth through sixth places for Radcliffe. Behind Harvard with 26 points was Princeton with 63 points, Yale with 85 and Brown, Dartmouth and Barnard. Cornell did not compete in the league championship.

"It was no day for records with all that wind and chill, but the team performed extremely well," coach Pappy Hunt said yesterday. "They proved themselves to be the class of the Ivy League," he continued.

Another freshman, Johanna Forman, said yesterday, "It feels very good to win the Ivy championship." Forman, who has been sick for almost two weeks said she had not run her best. But the soft-spoken native of Falmouth praised her teammates as "a good group of kids with a lot of spirit."

Sarah Linsley, a junior who consistently ranked among the top runners for the team this year, said yesterday, "The competition was tough and Princeton was very strong. The whole team has worked hard all season." And she adds like a true champion. "I look forward to next year, everything will be tougher."

Psyched

Hunt echoed this sentiment. "The caliber in eastern cross-country has improved greatly and I expect it will continue, but my girls are tough, they will be right up there."

One week remains in the season for Sullivan, however. She will run in the women's national cross-country championship next Saturday in Texas, among the best 250 runners at the college level. Sue Adams of Brown will travel to Texas, with Sullivan and Coach Hunt.

Radcliffe obviously could patent the special recipe for success.