City Councilor Raises $10,000 For Campaign

By Michael Kendall

Cambridge City Councilor Walter J. Sullivan, who is also an assistant clerk of courts at the Middlesex Court House, and whose brother is the clerk of courts of the Middlesex Superior and Supreme Courts, has raised $10,905 for his re-election campaign, with a significant number of donations coming from lawyers who are not Cambridge residents.

Sullivan had raised over twice as much money as any other council candidate as of October 31, according to records in the city clerk's office.

State Rep. Kevin M. Burke, a practicing attorney and member of the House Judiciary Committee, said yesterday clerks have a significant influence over the progress of cases.

The clerk in some instances may schedule cases, send certain cases to judges he considers potentially sympathetic, arrange for continuances, and reduce the waiting period before a case goes to trial.

"They have a lot of potential power and certainly can influence a lawyer's career," Burke said.

A Boston-area lawyer who has tried cases in several district and superior courts, and who asked not to be identified, said yesterday, "This applies to every court, you know, the buddy system." His description of the clerk's powers was the same as Burke's.

Sullivan said yesterday he and his brother have only administrative powers and denied that they have any influence over proceedings. He said the lawyers contributed to his campaign because "they know me from the court."

"We have no power," Sullivan said, adding that clerks in the district court have considerable influence. The Boston attorney said in reference to Sullivan's claim, "It is just the opposite; they have more power."

Most of the lawyers refused to comment recently on whether they try cases in the Middlesex court, although Abner Sisson said he did so "sometimes."

A majority of the candidates received either numerous small contributions under $5, or several large contributions from family members. Most of Sullivan's contributions were between $50 and $500.

Cambridge landlords and large property owners have made donations to several anti-rent control incumbents. Property owner David Lichter donated $100 to City Councilor Leonard J. Russell's campaign and Harry Katis, a trustee for Potomac Realty Trust, gave the campaign $150. Henry Shea, who said Wednesday he owns property in Cambridge but refused to say what kind, contributed $100 to Sullivan's campaign.

Lawrence Frisoli, a council candidate, did not file a campaign report before the October 31 deadline. He said Wednesday his campaign treasurer has had heart trouble recently and he does not have access to all the required information. Joseph E. Connartin, deputy city clerk, said Wednesday Frisoli had committed "a technical violation of the law," but added that he doubted the state would take legal action