Ford Selected Chairman Of Accrediting Agency

By Joseph T. Smith

Franklin L. Ford, McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History, said yesterday he sees his new job as chairman of the commission in charge of accrediting New England colleges as a "consumer protector" for college-bound students.

Ford was elected last week as chairman of the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).

He said members of the commission must insure that the colleges will "stay afloat so students can safely enroll" and that the colleges continue to fulfull their educational aims.

Richard J. Bradley, executive director of NEASC, said Ford will assign commission members to the teams that visit colleges. The commission evaluates each New England college every ten years.

Bradley said he sees no possibility for a conflict of interest between Ford's job as chairman and his position on the Harvard faculty. He said Ford can only hold two one-year terms, expiring before Harvard undergoes its next evaluation in 1987.

Ford said he is not surprised by his election. After the fourth year on the commission, "you just tend to rotate into it," he said.