New University Humor Journal Appears Today

By Peter A. Nitze

This morning marks the birth of a new publication at Harvard. At about mid-night, the first issue of the University Enquirer rolled off the presses.

Edited and published by Douglas MacIntyre '77, the Enquirer's masthead boasts an official staff of close to 100 artists, journalists and self-styled theologians, including such greats as John Harvard '00 as a staff coordinator.

The first issue is 12 pages long, featuring an "exclusive" with Farah Fawcett Majors, but if popular reaction is favorable it will be expanded to 16 with a centerfold, MacIntyre said yesterday. He said the centerfold would feature both a man and a woman to allay charges of discrimination.

Future plans for the Enquirer include bidding for the old Hillel building, which may house their offices and presses, and sending articles to other Ivy League dailies, the publisher said.

The Enquirer would allow other dailies to run their features at a flat annual rate in place of, or in addition to, their usual "dull" news stories, MacIntyre said.

Funding for the Enquirer has come from interested alumni, and others whom MacIntyre speculated "were probably not completely well."

The faculty advisers for the journal are Archie C. Epps III, dean of students and someone who refuses to give him his name, MacIntyre said.