Nessen Discusses Media

By John C. Scheffel

The press's portrayal of former president Gerald R. Ford and President Carter as candidates without convictions contributed to the voter apathy in the 1976 presidential election, Ronald H. Nessen, Ford's former press secretary, said yesterday.

The press's failure to publicize the candidates' ideologies minimized the differences between them Nessen currently a visiting fellow of the Institute of Politics, said.

Nessen spoke yesterday to a group of 50 students in Emerson Hall and participated in a panel discussion on media coverage of campaigns at Hilles library.

During the Ford administration, the press corps oversimplified the complex issues facing Ford because journalists have a limited amount of time and space at their disposal, Nessen added.

The media coverage of Carter's interview in Playboy Magazine exemplifies the "trivia and gossip which brings out the worst elements of the press," he said.

Nessen said he questions whether or not his personality traits suited him for the job with Ford because he said he is "thin-skinned and short-tempered," adding that "the role of the press secretary is to be a lightening rod, to soak up criticism that would otherwise go to the president."