SAE Sells Frat House

By Anne E. Bartlett

Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE), Harvard's only nationally-affiliated fraternity, is now looking for a home in Cambridge following the sale this summer of its former residence, an SAE official said yesterday.

The fraternity has not yet found a new building it can afford near Harvard Square. Bruce Meth '78, treasurer of SAE, said.

A trustee committee decided to sell the old fraternity house, located at 85 Putnam Ave., after discussing the move for about two years.

Meth said the undergraduate members concurred in the decision because "No one cared for the old neighborhood, and we wanted to find a place closer to the Square."

He would neither say what price SAE will receive for the building, nor name the buyer, because the sale agreement is not yet final.

The fraternity will use the money from the sale towards the purchase of a new building, he added.

SAE sold the house partly because members believe they would attract more new members if the fraternity were closer to the River Houses, Meth said.

"The house being where it was, no one would stop there during the day. We'd like it to be more like the clubs, with people stopping in to read the papers, and so on," he added