Freshman Gridders Win

Cuccia Leads Charge

HANOVER, N.H.--"It was a team effort," insisted freshman quarterback Ron Cuccia after the game. "We had some troubles hanging on to the ball sometimes, but the defense was tough and the offensive line played super." The result was a 21-20 Harvard victory, as the freshmen improved their season slate to 3-0.

Cuccia, despite his modesty, was the star of the "team effort." The highly touted Los Angeles native rushed for 110 yards on 16 carries and passed for another 68. It was he who hurdled into the endzone to tie the game with 40 seconds remaining, clearing the way for Steve Flach's decisive point after. It was also he who had raced 42 yards only minutes earlier, leading the Crimson out of its own territory and into striking range.

They Won't Forget

The Crimson was not without other standouts however. Matt Aney, making use of some excellent down-field blocking, electrified the crowd only four minutes into the game with an 83-yd. punt return. Cuccia's seven-yd. touchdown run made it 14-0 only five minutes later.

Dartmouth recovered immediately, carrying the ensuing kickoff 84 yards to pull the Woodsmen within seven.

Running back Bill Heyde led the Green charge in the second half, scoring twice from the one to propel his team to a 20-14 lead.

With less than three minutes remaining and the Crimson down by six, Dartmouth took possession inside their own twenty and needed only one first down to sew up the game. The freshmen held however. Cuccia and company did the rest.