Senior Class Elevates Eight Members To Lifetime Position of Class Marshall

By Amy R. Gutman

The Class of 1979 has elected Aaron J. Alter '79 of Adams House first marshal for Harvard and Katherine P. Evans '79 of Leverett House first marshal for Radcliffe, the Alumni Office announced yesterday.

The other newly elected Harvard marshals are Gary Barrett '79 of Eliot House, Michael R. Eastman '79 of Currier House and Peter C. McLoughlin '79 of Mather House.

Robin B. Balthrope '79 of Currier House, Katie Forsman '79 of Mather House and Barbara Mullin '79 of Eliot House are the other Radcliffe marshals for the Class of '79.

No Escape

The position of class marshal is a "lifetime honor," Victor A. Koivumaki III '68, associate for Classes and Reunions of the Associated Harvard Alumni (AHA), said yesterday. "We hope, as alumni, they will assume leadership roles in planning class events and reunions," he added.

The duties of the marshals include helping to organize senior class activities, especially during commencement week, he said.

Why They Did It

Eastman gave an untraditional reason for his decision to seek the post--he hopes the marshals will take a stand on South Africa. "I think potentially the class marshals could do something," he said. "Being in a fund-rasing position we might have some influence," Eastman added.

Next Best Thing to Being There

Alter said he decided to run because he wants to keep in touch with his classmates. Evans chose to run because she was interested in the Radcliffe Centennial and because she enjoys administrative work, she said.

The eight marshals were chosen from 43 Harvard and 19 Radcliffe candidates, Koivumaki said. He added that about 50 per cent of the senior class voted in the election late last week among the 16 previously selected finalists.