A Bright, New Hockey Home

SRO Crowd Dedicates Rink

As the hundreds of invited guests moved from a roast beef dinner in the Palmer Dixon Tennis Courts to the majestic new home of Harvard hockey, old-timers kept murmuring to each other, "I can't believe what they've done to Watson Rink."

The difference was startling.

After 24 seasons of competition in the facility named after former Harvard quarterback Donald C. Watson '16, the arctic, dimly-lit, cavernous rink was only a memory. In its place, thanks to a $2.8 million facelift, stood the new Alexander H. Bright Hockey Center.

With heating, mercury lights bright enough to perform surgery under, a new, expanded ice surface, more comfortable and plentiful seating, and a modern, clean design, the new Harvard facility brings the Crimson a much-needed, spacious home.

After an off-ice plaque unveiling, Athletic Director Jack Reardon opened Saturday night's ceremonies on a red carpet at center ice, flanked by a dozen dignitaries. They all came to praise the memory of Alec Bright '19, a former varsity hockey and baseball player, in whose memory the new rink is built.

And though the crowd remained inattentive through most of the remarks, it did stop to give Horace Bright, Alec's older brother and a major force behind the new rink, a standing ovation.

For all the differences, though, there still was a bit of Watson Rink around--at least in atmosphere. While Team USA trounced the Crimson, 5-0, in the opening night exhibition, the band led a harassment of Team USA goalie Jim Craig.

The band shouted, "Hey, Craig--as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" The fans exploded. And you knew the spirit of Watson's Section 18 lived on, even with all the heat and lights.