Newly Elected Mayors Attend Institute of Politics Conference

More than 16 mayors and mayor-designates will attend a conference for newly-elected mayors this weekend at the Kennedy School of Government.

Mayors from Minneapolis, Minn., Tampa, Fla., and Green Bay, Wisc. and a dozen other cities will arrive today for a four-day series of seminars on "Staffing." "Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining." "The Police as Crime Fighters," and other topics.

Imagine That

One of the conference participants. Ben Delieto, the newly elected mayor of New Haven. Conn., is that city's former police chief. Another participant, Edward Annen, mayor-designate of Kalamazoo, Mich., is, at age 28, the youngest newly-elected mayor in the country. Nicholas T. Mitropoulos, executive assistant to the director of the Institute of Politics (IOP), said last night.

"The problems of urban government need more attention by higher educational institutions," Mitropoulos said. The K-School conference is unique because it addresses the immediate needs of the new mayors, he added.

The IOP and the U.S. Conference of Mayors are sponsoring the conference, Mitropoulous said, adding the Department of Housing and Urban Development and Sears, Roebuck and Co. will help fund the program. Mitropoulous added he does not yet know the total cost of the program.

Much of the planning for the conference was finished at the last minute, because most conference participants were elected last week. Diane J. Siegal '82, a Student Advisory Committee (SAC) member, said yesterday.

Students on the committee have been working on the conference since May, she added. Thirty-seven SAC members will act as escorts and messengers for the mayors this weekend. Siegal said.