Booters Drop to Bruins, 3-0; Win Streak Snapped at Five

By Stephen A. Herzenberg, Special to The Crimson

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--The Harvard soccer team's bubble burst yesterday in the unlikeliest of places--here in Providence, R.I.--as unvaunted Brown upset the booters, 3-0, ending Harvard's five-game winning streak.

Perhaps psychedup by a pre-game ceremony dedicating the field to their coach, Cliff Stevenson, Brown looked like the best 2-8 team in the land. That record is in fact deceptive, as the Bruins have lost by a single goal to the likes of UConn and Princeton.

Brown adapted to the wet conditions, moved in front, then choked off Harvard's responses in taking their second game in a row.

For the first time in six games, Harvard's defense seemed unsettled and occasionally confused. Too often, the ball lingered near the Crimson goalmouth, giving Brown multiple opportunities before Harvard finally cleared it to the side.

An even first half ended with an uneven score--Brown 2, Harvard 0. Harvard had its share of scoring chances but appeared to miss the finishing spark of sophomore Mauro Keller-Sarmiento, who sat "frustrated" and unable to help on the sideline.

About ten minutes into the game, the Crimson almost pulled ahead, 1-0. Halfback Michael Smith surprised Bruin goalie Greg Mitko by launching a 40-ft volley from outside the penalty box. Mitko startled, reacted slowly but just in time to deflect the ball off the top of the crossbar for a corner kick.

Ten minutes later a muddle in front of the Brown goal ended with a Walter Diaz header that Brown just managed to clear off the line.

Brown opened the scoring at 27:56 after a similar muddle in front of the Harvard net. First sweeper Peter Sergienko, then a number of other Harvard backs failed to clear the ball, giving Brown's Tom Gertken time to nod it past Harvard keeper Billy Blood. The tally was the first scored against Blood in over nine halves.

Ten minutes of pouring rain made the field muddy and treacherous after the first Brown goal. Neither team could establish much rhythm as players slipped and fell during give-and-go's, before shots and racing for passes.

Brown, however, did manage a demoralizing second goal with only 16 seconds left in the half. The dangerous Dan Carusi fed the ball to Fred Reinhardt who stood unmarked at the edge of the penalty area. Reinhardt placed the ball into the right side of the goal, as Blood, unable to gain enough footing for one of his patented dives, never had a chance.

The game still seemed well within Harvard's reach as the second half whitsle blew. It did not stay that way for long. Brown left-wing Hugh Copeland picked off a Crimson pass, raced past last week's Ivy Player of the Week, Lorenzo DiBonaventura, and boomed a left-footed cannon into the far corner of the net.

There seemed little Harvard could do the rest of the way to prevent the end of their winning streak. Coach George Ford put five forwards into the game, but still the Crimson showed only fleeting glimpses of the offensive form that helped them score four goals in mid-week against Bowdoin.

Asked if the absence of Keller-Sarmiento had made much difference, Ford said after the game, "I really don't think so. We had a couple of problems. We came in here with Brown dedicating the field to their coach; they had that extra motivation. They also adapted to the conditions a little better. We have played very well recently. I'm just a little disappointed for the team. I know they can play better."

Keller-Sarmiento said yesterday he expects his puffed-up ankle to be back to normal size in time for Tuesday's game against Boston University. Harvard fans are hoping so, as the Crimson will need to be in top form against New England's third-ranked powerhouse.