Aquawomen Shatter Records; Ivies Bring Out Their Best

By Cecily Deegan

Something about the Ivy Championships stirred the Women's swim team out of its seasonal slumber yesterday at Yale, because nearly every racer swam her fastest and four women qualified for the AIAW Nationals next month.

Coach Stephanie Walsh places the team "in the top four" after seven swimming events in the first day of the meet.

In yesterday morning's trials, 20 of the 23 Crimson entrants performed at optimum speed, and further astonished their opponents by outdoing themselves in the evening races with even better times.

Maura Costin's 2:18.11 gave her a fifth place in the 200-meter individual medley, qualified her for the nationals, and set a personal season record.

Emily Feldman, sure to compete in at least three events in next month's nationals, swam the 500-meter freestyle in 5:24.26, placed fifth in the 200-meter back stroke with 2:17.39 and still had enough pulling power to help teammates Costin, Liz Adams and Adele Joel earn a third in the 800-meter freestyle relay.

Joel and Costa were joined by Katie Kelley and Julie McAree for the 200-meter medley relay, but with 1:57.39, they missed the chance for the nationals by 2.1 seconds.

Two Crimson swimmers set team records in the 50-meter breast stroke. Barbara Niles recorded her best time in 34.86 and Adele Joel hers with 32.33.

Freshman Pam Stone wowed the judges in the one-meter diving competition. They gave her a total of 415.75 points, enough to handily outscore her Barnard archrival, Tina Steck.

Swimming Coach Walsh and diving coach John Walker agreed that Stone plainly "outdove everybody." Her performance set a New England record, a team record and a personal record.

Julie McAree placed eighth in the 100-meter butterfly, and will swim again tomorrow in the 200-meter event.

But Coach Walsh predicts no slump. "The kids are really psyched," she said. "They're all improving their times. We don't have the superstars this year, but we have the enthusiasm."