University Police to Consider Relocating to 29 Garden St.

By Alexandra D. Korry

University police and Harvard administrators are planning to move police headquarters from Grays Hall, and are considering 29 Garden St. as a possible site.

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, said yesterday the administration is not close to any final decision on a location, but confirmed that he has been working with the police to find a new site.

The police administration currently works out of the basement of Grays Hall in the Yard, which is crowded and has no windows. Patrolmen, who have their lockers in the basement of Thayer, have consistently complained about their separation from the main police administration.

In searching for better quarters for the police, the administration is looking for an inexpensive building which is big enough to house both police administrators and patrolmen, and has a garage for the cruisers.

Steiner said 29 Garden St., currently housing Harvard graduate students, satisfies most of the requirements. However, since no cost estimate has been made, Steiner said the administration will not commit itself to that site.

Saul L. Chafin, chief of University police, refused to comment last night.

Sources in the police department said they favor a move out of Grays Hall to a site which is accessible from the street.

If the police were to move to Garden St., they would keep an outpost at Grays Hall to protect the Yard, sources said.