U.S. Ices Hockey Gold Late Rally Sinks Finland, 4-2

The Winter Olympics

By Jim Hershberg

With the possible exception of the team itself, nobody thought a bunch of young, relatively inexperienced Americans could take on the hockey world and come out on top. But, as just about everyone from Kansas to the Khyber Pass knows by now, they did.

Overcoming the final obstacle to a gold medal in characteristically come-from-behind fashion, the United States hockey team ground out a tough 4-2 win over a stubborn squad from Finland on the final day of the Lake Placid Winter Olympics.

Pandemonium Ensued

A wild celebration ensued--sticks flying, flags waving--as the final buzzer marked this country's most spectacular hockey feat since another bunch of unknowns pulled in a gold 20 years ago at Squaw Valley, Calif. But there was no joy in Moscow: the Soviet Union, heavy favorites until the upset by the United States Friday night, were left with the silver.

The bronze medal went to Sweden, 9-2 losers to the Soviets in a battle for second place.

Following the pattern they established in comeback victories over Czechoslovakia, Norway, West Germany and the Soviets and the last-minute tie with Sweden, the U.S. icemen fell behind early.

Finland led 1-0 after one session and 2-1 after two. But three final period U.S. goals--the winner coming on Rob McClanahan's stuffshot with 13:55 remaining--ended the suspense for the 8500 fans present and a world-wide T.V. audience.

Backed by the rock-steady goaltending of Jim Craig, the Americans had tied the contest at two when Phil Verchota gently flipped a shot past Finnish netminder Jorma Valtonen at 2:25. When winger Mark Johnson tucked in an insurance goal to make it 4-2, 3:25 before the end, the dream had become a reality.

"The did a hell of a job," commented Harvard hockey coach Bill Cleary, one of the heroes at Squaw Valley. "It's a great thrill for those kids and they certainly deserve it."

Matched against a similarly inspired batch of upstarts, the Americans whittled away at the Finns with an aggressive forechecking game and steady attack. The breakthrough did not come easy, but it came in time, and that's all that mattered.

A tie would have meant that the U.S. had to count on the Soviets to beat Sweden--they did--in order to pick up a gold.

President Carter, phoning from Washington after the game, invited the team to visit the White House today. It will. "Congratulations and good luck," Carter told U.S. captain Mike Eruzione. "Thank you and good luck," the former B.U. star replied.

***

In other Olympic action prior to last night's closing ceremonies, an East German team led by Meinhard Nehmer won the four-man bobsled competition in record time.

Vice President Walter F. Mondale and speed-skating champion 'five gold medals' Eric Heiden attended the U.S. Finland hockey game.