Individuality

By Brenda A. Russell

THE CIRCUMSTANCES which resulted in The Crimson's publication of a second apology and a list of demands from Third World students have been discussed subjectively and objectively both in and out of The Crimson. My comment here is not to repeat the emphasis or generate more discussion on the issue.

I share the position of Cheryl Devall. As the only Third World members of the paper's executive board, we were poised in the unhealthy position of choosing between loyalties. We chose the most important view of all--the view of ourselves as individuals.

Because we are both women and Black does not mean we agree on most things. In fact, there are times when we simply do not agree at all. For example, I am a Southerner who grew up in an evangelistic Baptist home, whereas Cheryl is from San Diego and was raised in a Catholic setting. To lump us together because of our physical appearances is the heart of prejudice. It denies our being as individuals.

Saying that the vocal Third World students represent all Harvard Third World students is a prejudiced view; the same holds for Crimson editors. The most vocal editors do not always represent the views of all staff members. As a publication, The Crimson should have some uniform policy, but there should never be any rule preventing an editor from holding an individual view.

Lumping together people who are alike is one level of racism, but there is a stronger, more pervasive element that all students should recognize. The University uses the ploy of setting priorities to justify "color-blindness"--a theory which works only if the society as a whole is color-blind. The University's decision to cut funding gradually for minority recruitment and its apathy in previous years in the search for tenured professors for the Afro-American Studies Department are a few indicators of how the color-blindness works.

The results of the meeting between the Third World groups and The Crimson were positive, and I believe the next step should be to shift the emphasis of attack to the stronger elements of racism. For long after the classes have graduated, the University will be here. Will it still be "color-blind?"