Crimson Meets UCLA Tonight In Water Polo

By Jay Woodruff

It's not often (fortunately for Harvard teams) that a UCLA squad travels 3000 miles to compete with the Crimson.

But tonight, making their second stop on a week-long Ivy League exhibition tour, about a dozen, sun-tanned Southern Californians will weave their way through what's left of the Square on their way to Blodgett Pool, where the Bruins will probably give Harvard a quick lesson in the fine art of water polo.

"We've got to play their kind of game," Crimson coach Steve Pike said last night. "This will be our first experience on this level, and I just hope we can learn something."

In their first year of varsity competition, the Harvard squad could ask for no finer a group of tutors. Last year, the Bruins were ranked second in the NCAAs, after losing to University of California at Berkeley in the national championship tournament.

Things of that Sort

UCLA has lost four games so far in this preseason, but the team's record belies the team's talent. Autumn water polo in California is like autumn crew in the East-just a warm up for the real season.

The Bruins, led by all-American goalie Dave Rosen, are bloated with experience.

Seniors Lyle Asaoka and Bob Barry, juniors Dean Heck and Vince Tone and sophomore Dave Towle round out the starting line up. Sophomore Brian Black, probably the best athlete on the Bruin's squad, is out for the season with torn knee ligaments.

UCLA head coach Bob Horn, held that position for 13 years and has led the Bruins to one NCAA championship.

POLONOTES: The Crimson sank Exeter 17-12 in an exhibition game at Blodgett last night.