Big Green Rambles Past Penn; Princeton, Brown Score Wins

By Ben Sherwood

They say coming close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. And so it was this Saturday, at least for Harvard and Princeton. But for Yale and Dartmouth, sharing the 1981 Ivy League championship will have to suffice.

Dartmouth and Yale each clinched part of the title, as the Elis dismantled the Crimson in New Haven, and the Big Green demolished Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

Dartmouth sophomore quarterback Frank Polsinello (13 for 23 one TD) coordinated his team's 314-yard attack while the Big Green defense held Penn to a measly 158 total yards in a 33-13 victory.

The thrashing upped the Green record to 6-1 in league and 6-4 overall while dropping the Quaker mark to 1-8. Dart-mouth rebounded this year to the Ivy title after losing three of its first four games and starting quarterback Rick Stafford to an injury.

On a windy Franklin-Field. Dartmouth seized a 17-0 halftime lead on a Tim Geibel 35-yd, field goal and 11-and three-yard scores by Sean Maher and Rich Lena. Penn lit the scoreboard in the third quarter on a five-yard toss from Quaker quarterback Doug Marzonie to streaker Karl Heil.

The Big Green built up its lead in the second half on a 22-yd. Geibel boot and Polsinello's 14-yd. strike to Jack Daly. Dartmouth's defense pitched in as Charles Williams returned his sixth interception of the season 42 yards for a score.

In other Ivy action. Princeton, with 385 total yards, smashed Cornell, 37-14. Fullback Larry Van Pelt scrambled for 118 Yards and two touchdowns and snatched a 12-yd. TD aerial from signal-caller Brent Woods to lead the Tiger blitz.

Princeton's victory put the Tigers into third place.