Rawson: A Real Knock-Out

Knobler Than Thou

By Mike Knobler

Boxing and Tommy Rawson have been good friends for over half a century. Harvard's boxing coach has lived pugilism: coaching, boxing and refereeing New England fights since the days of Gene Tunney and Joe Louis.

Last Friday Rawson's lifelong ties to boxing tightened when he began a three-year term as chairman of the Massachusetts Boxing Commission. The three-member commission appointed by the governor oversees all boxing within the state, exercising power of approval over all pro bouts and enforcing state boxing regulations.

Rawson is no stranger to the commission, having served on it from 1958 to 1964. "I was sitting on the commission when Cassius Clay--now he's Muhammad Ali--was going to fight Sonny Liston," Rawson said, explaining that the fight never took place because Clay discovered a hernia injury the day of the weigh-in.

Harvard's boxing coach brings many goals with him to his new post. Chief among these is a desire to increase boxing's safety.

Rawson sees at least two ways to cut back on boxing injuries: better matchups and safer facilities. "We'd like to see better places for the men to box," he said. "They need better rings and there's got to be adequate medical rooms," he explained.

The commission will use its power of approval over pro fights to insure even contests, Rawson said, explaining that he hopes to cut down on mis matches for safety purposes. Injuries often occur in bouts where one boxer is clearly out-matched.

Rawson emphasized that his new duties will not interfere with responsibilities as Harvard boxing coach. As chairman Rawson will set meeting times as well as agendas, scheduling sessions around Harvard practice times.

At Least

The commission meets at least once a week and more often when its responsibilities warrant.

Rawson spends four afternoons a week coaching the Harvard boxing club in the special exercise room on the IAB's third floor. He spreads his time among the athletes who show up--usually about 20--teaching them the fine points of self defense. Walking from one group of boxers to another every couple of minutes, Rawson will see a fighter making a mistake, stop, and take whatever time is necessary to correct the error.

More Than That

Rawson is more than just the coach, he is the reason many of Harvard's boxers decide to workout. "If he wasn't the coach, I wouldn't do it [work out]," boxing club president Red Casey said.

Experlence

Rawson's coaching ability may be testimony to his years of experience. He first coached at Harvard in 1932 and has taught pugilistic arts at the University for 15 years off and on since then. He has also coached at MIT. Currently the chief of officials for the new England AAU, he has served on the AAU boxing commission for 40 years.

Rawson was overjoyed to add the title of state boxing commission chairman to his list of boxing accomplishments. "That was really a Christmas present and a birthday present," Rawson, who turns 73 today, said. No one who knows him can doubt that he earned it.