HSA Turns Down Delivery Proposal

By Jennifer L. Wittner

Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) decided Thursday not to assume delivery of The New York Times and The Boston Globe, Lynne G. Liakos '82, president of HSA, said yesterday.

The decision, made after almost a month without delivery service since Harvard Delivery News Service (HDNS) folded, leaves the University with no alternative plans for providing delivery, Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said yesterday.

HSA officials declined comment yesterday on why they decided not to assume delivery.

But Charles W.A. Bott '82, Business Manager of The Crimson, said yesterday that representatives of The Times and The Globe are negotiating with The Crimson to provide delivery service through Crimson deliverers. Theodore C. Tracy, Boston Circulation Manager for The Times, and Allison Avery of The Globe confirmed that negotiations are underway.

Although plans must be approved by the University, Epps said he will not make the decision on the proposal himself.

If the plan is approved, the earliest delivery could begin is in the week of March 2, Avery said. She added that it would be necessary to "canvass, advertise, and send fliers" around the school before subscriptions and delivery could resume.

Dean Epps said he gave HSA first option on delivery service because HSA "was the logical choice" for the job. He added that providing delivery through an independent agency, such as HDNS, has proved too difficult in the past.

"We feel we've been very patient and have really gone the distance trying to cooperate with HSA and the University," Avery said, adding that she would prefer a student organization to run the delivery service because "we want an organization that provides employment for Harvard students and is responsive to students."