A New Beginning

Bassackwards

By Mike Bass

Item: The Boston Red Sox traded reliever Dick Drago to the Seattle Mariners to finalize their opening day roster for 1981.

Since we passed through Sturbridge, our friendly radio weatherman has been assuring us that yes indeed the game is still on, that the rain should hold off. I want to believe him more than anything else in the world, but as we drive east, the sky's color has quickly changed from elephant gray to does-anybody-have-a-match black. I ask my mother for the thousandth time if she thinks it's going to rain. She says she hopes not and then steps on the gas as if to put the clouds behind us.

The day is October 12, the year is 1975, the destination is Fenway Park, and the event is Super Series, Game Two, featuring the Boston Red Sox and the Cincinnati Reds. My first World Series game, and the sky looks as if it's about to make Worcester a coastal community. The drizzle starts as we reach Kenmore Square.

We finally find the NBC van where we are to pick up our tickets. NBC has graciously provided us with two seats at the game. But the lady in the van has graciously misplaced them. While she searches, we walk around the park.

I stop at the pizza place across the street. As I wait for my slice, a guy in a London Fog walks up to the counter next to me and asks the guy that works there if he's got any tickets. The guy says sure. London Fog asks how much. Pizza Man says 110 for the pair, 60 for a single. I laugh at their little joke, until London Fog pulls out three 20s and Pizza Man hands over a yellow ticket. "Hey Mom, did you see that? That guy paid 60 dollars for a grandstand ticket." She did see. Neither of us can believe it.

The drizzle has stopped. We go back to the van, but the lady says our tickets still haven't arrived. She asks us if we'd like to wait in NBC's VIP tent since we have had to wait so long. The drizzle is back. We accept.

The tent provides one wonder after another. Maury Wills is there. "Mom look, there's Maury Wills." At one end of the tent two chefs cook omelettes to order, and sausages, bagels, bacon, English muffins and fruits are piled all round them. The rain and the waiting has made me hungry. The chef flips a free omelette for me.

Our tickets are ready. They are yellow, same as London Fog's. As we take our seats, the drizzle has stopped once more.

With all the excitement, I really don't remember much else. There are a couple of rain delays, Bill Lee pitches superbly, taking the Red Sox into the ninth with a 2-1 lead. Dick Drago relieves after Johnny Bench took Lee deep to right for a double. The Dragon proceeds to bring the Red Sox to within one out of a 2-0 World Series lead. And one out away from victory, the Red Sox and Dick Drago lose the game.

Drago and most of the other players from that 1975 team are gone for good now. It's been almost six years. Today, Opening Day 1981, is the beginning of the new Red Sox. Ready Mom?