Lights Falter, Finish Second; Princeton Captures Jope Cup

By Peter G. Wilcox

The Harvard lightweight crew smashed the old course record by more then 12 seconds (three boatlengths) but finished second to top seeded Princeton relinquishing the Jope Cup for the first time in 14 years at the Eastern Sprints in Woreester yesterday.

"Shattering the course record was a thrill. We didn't make any mistakes and rowed well--any other year we would have won with that time." cox Greg Soghikian said yesterday. Harvard finished in 5:53.2. only one second behind Princeton. with Yale a distant third in 6:01.5 and the other three boats somewhere below the horizon.

Only last week. Rob Sigal was moved from the j.V. to the varsity rower. Despite this handicap the boat turned in the fastest time in Harvard lightweight history for the 2000 meters.

"Considering all the crises which preceded the race there were more guts in that boat than in any boat I've secn in my life." captain and five-seat Jeff MacMillan said.

Rowing on the smoothest water all year. Harvard jumped at the start hitting the water at a 44 cadence for the first 20 strokes. Settling into 37 strokes per minute the lights pulled a power ten at the 500-meter mark and a power 20 at the 1000 to gain a two-seat lead on the Tiger boat. But Princeton came back with a sprint of its won and made the race a dead heat by the 1200-meter mark.

Lengthening the stroke and concentrating on power the Crimson fought back with power tens at both the 1300 and 1600 meter points and upped the cadence to a 39. Princeton however sprinted at the finish and crossed the line just two seats ahead of the Harvard shell in a race so close there was never a greater margin than three seats between the two.

"It was a great race for the spectators but hard for the oarsmen who don't get the recognition they deserve." two seat Sigal said. "They never mark in the record books you got second yet still beat the record--there's only one winner on paper unfortunately." he added.

In the J.V. race. Harvard finished third behind Princeton and Yale--the first time since 1965 that they weren't in first. "It was an extremely aggressive race and Yale just refused to quit." bow seat Fred Geyer said yesterday.

Harvard stroked smoothly at the start. caught the lead and held it until about the 1800 meter mark. Princeton and Yale then pulled sprints which the Crimson couldn't match that late in the race.

"Yale went out to gain the lead three times on power tens. each time we matched them. By the fourth time we just didn't have enough strength." Geyer said.

The J.V. boat like the varsity was not set until last week, with third varsity boat heavyweight Gene. Lynch dropping ten pounds in one week to make weight and stroke the boat. "We rowed very well especially rowing together only one week. they [Princeton and Yale] just rowed a little better." Lynch said.

"I rowed on a winner last year but this year's boat had unbelievable talent--we rowed over our heads today." Sigal said. "This race despite last year's victory was the best race I've ever rowed in." he added.

"It's too bad I have an exam tomorrow or I'd celebrate," seemed to be the oft heard line at the hotel. "Rowing in exam period really makes you put sports at Harvard into perspective." Sigal concluded. More than half the lightweight oarsmen at yesterday's race have exams today.