4 Students, 7 Professors Win Truman, Guggenheim Grants

By John D. Solomon

Four undergraduates last week were awarded fellowships by the Harry S. Truman Foundation, and seven professors received grants from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.

Mildred H. An '84, Karen V. Walker '84, Alvaro Martin '84 and Douglas F. Curtis '84 were selected for Truman Fellowships on the "basis of their past and future commitment to government service." Foundation spokesman Malcolm McCormick said yesterday.

The 104 Truman fellows, who were chosen from among 937 applicants nationwide, will receive $5000 grants for both junior and senior years and then for their first two years of graduate school.

"I was absolutely bowled over stunned shocked, and surprised," Truman winner An said yesterday.

Guggenheim Fellowships went to Jaime Alazraki, professor of Romance Languages and Literatures, William H. Bond, professor of Bibliography and librarian of the Houghton Library, William E. Cooper, associate professor of Psychology, Charles M. Haar, Brandeis Professor of Law; Wallace T. MacCaffrey, Higginson Professor of History; Margaret R. Miles, associate professor of Theology; and Frank J. Sulloway, a postdoctoral fellow in Psychology.

The Guggenheim Foundation awards fellowships to promising faculty in order to foster new research, Mary Woodring, secretary of the foundation, said yesterday. Each of the 277 Guggenheim fellows, selected from a pool of 3200 applicants, will receive $18,000 to conduct research over the next year.

"I am filled with complete joy," Cooper said yesterday of his Guggenheim "It would not have been the end of the world if I did not get it, but I am thrilled," he added.