Dean, Students May Agree On Minority Plan Consideration

By Michael F. P. dorning

Law School Dean James D. Vorenberg '49 yesterday offered representatives of a coalition of minority student organizations a compromise proposal for considering an affirmative action plan introduced by the coalition.

Vorenberg said yesterday he told representatives of the Third World Coalition that he would establish a "working group" composed of himself and two associate deans to supervise the consideration of the coalition's plan by standing faculty committees.

The coalition has proposed that minority student representatives review minority student representatives review minority applicants' admissions files. The coalition has also proposed that the Law School hire at least two minority visiting professors and then consider them for tenured positions.

The coalition had requested that Vorenberg create an ad hoc committee to consider the plan as a whole in order to give the proposal sufficient consideration.

Vorenberg had said he thought that it was not necessary to create another faculty committee and said he would delegate different sections of the proposal to the appropriate standing committees.

Nicky Sheats, a spokesman for the coalition, said yesterday that Vorenberg's offer is a "compromise." He added, "It's not what we wanted."

The coalition is considering Vorenberg's offer and may reach a decision sometime today, Sheats said.

The dean and the coalition members have already reached agreement on a few of the coalition's minor proposals concerning minority student recruitment.