Football Team Likely To Play This Fall in Renovated Stadium

By Daniel J. Jones

The Harvard football team will probably play its home games in Harvard Stadium this fall because the renovations of the stadium should be completed before the season's September 15 opener against Columbia, University officials said yesterday.

Following the University's decision last fall to renovate major parts of the 81-year-old stadium, officials speculated that the facility might not be ready for games this fall, forcing the football team to play all its "home" games at other stadiums.

God and Harvard

Joe B. Wyatt, vice-president for administration, said he was optimistic about the pace of reconstruction. "The contractor is confident that he can finish his work on schedule," he added.

And Robert J. Burbank, supervisor of the renovation project, said it would take an "act of God" to keep the project from being completed on schedule.

The $8 million reconstruction project includes the refurbishing of about 30 percent of the structure's supporting beams and the replacement of most of the stadium's seats, which have deteriorated, Burbank said. New bleachers and upgraded bathrooms also will be installed by full, he added.

Wyatt and John P. Reardon '60, director of athletics, will review the project in early May and make a final decision on whether to cancel the two contingency plans devised by University officials.

Reardon was out of town yesterday and could not be reached for comment.

One plan would have the football team play all of its games away from home during the 1982 season, and the other involves using the fields of local colleges such as Boston College. Boston University and Holy Cross.

Coach Joe Restic said yesterday that if forced to choose between the two plans he would "without question" choose to have his team play at nearby fields because "a 10 game road trip would wear us down."

Gregory T. Brown '83, captain of next year's squad, said yesterday. "I know we will win anyway, but it would be better to play at home in front of our fans."