Booters Down Eagles

Kenworthy, Catliff Score in 2-1 Win

By L. JOSEPH Garcia

Sophomore forward John Catliff did the Harvard men's soccer team a big favor when he scored with 20 minutes left in the booters' match with Boston College yesterday at the B-School Field. If he hadn't, the Crimson might have tied, or perhaps even lost, a game it deserved to win.

Catliff's tally--which clinched a 2-1 decision--was the payoff for 70 minutes of heavy Harvard pressure on the Eagle goalmouth. Sophomore sweeper Johan Ahr hit a long free kick from the right that squirted out of a crowd to Catliff.

The transfer from the University of British Columbia pushed the ball to the left, then hit a hard left-footer from eight yards past B.C. goalkeeper Eric Hasbun. It was the second game-winner of the year for Catliff, who currently leads the team in scoring with six goals and one assist.

But the goal was not the only chance the booters had. What Harvard had trouble doing in the second half against the University of Connecticut--get the ball to the front line inside the opponent's half--it did very well against the Eagles.

Catliff and sophomore forward Lane Ken-worthy showed their appreciation by laying off through passes to teammates and peppering the B.C. net themselves.

Kenworthy, in fact, scored the first time he touched the ball. Senior Captain Lee Lanzillo found him with a long pass breaking from midfield. Hasbun came out of his net to challenge, but mishandled the ball, and Kenworthy scored on a tap-in at 1:41.

"They show themselves, they're such easy targets," said Lanzillo of Catliff and Kenworthy.

Harvard continued to pelt the Eagles' goal, finding halfbacks breaking free from midfield or getting good crosses from the wings.

"We were playing the ball quickly," said sophomore stopper Ian Hardington. "In the first half, they weren't marking, they were chasing."

But B.C. Coach Ben Brewster is known for producing aggressive teams, and the Eagles found a way to knot the score just before halftime.

Forward Paul Connors found some open space on the right wing, then crossed over the Crimson goalmouth to B.C. Captain Jorge Montoya on the left wing. Montoya a passed to Jay Hutchins, and the senior halfback found the Crimson net at 36:47.

In the second half, the Eagles started to mount more attacks as the booters' pace slowed with fatigue. Catliff's goal was well-timed, lifting the Crimson enough to close out the win.

"Unlike the game against UConn, we were able to be physical and constructive for 90 minutes," explained Ahr.

The win leaves Harvard in excellent shape in the competitive Greater Boston League (GBL) with a 3-0-0 mark. B.C. was the highest-rated GBL team in the most recent New England coaches' poll (the Eagles were ranked third, Harvard fifth).

The Crimson travels to Ithaca, N.Y., today for a Friday match with Cornell, a team that has beaten Adelphi and Long Island University, two nationally-ranked squads.

"They're very similar to the team we saw today--very aggressive," said Coach Jape Shattuck. "It's going to be a very even match."