Peretz Balances Politics and Academics

Faculty Snapshot

By Mary C. Warner

Martin H. Peretz, lecturer in Social Studies, likes his students so much that he hired two of them. They both work for him at The New Republic, a left-of-center "weekly opinion journal" where Peretz serves as editor-in-chief.

"I saw how talented they were when they were young and unseasoned," Peretz says. "It's especially pleasant to work with them now that they are not simply talented, but brilliant and seasoned."

Peretz lives in Cambridge and commutes to Washington to oversee his responsibilities at the magazine. He also teaches a junior tutorial and advises senior theses.

Peretz, a 1959 Brandeis University graduate, began teaching at Harvard in 1961 as a graduate student. He served as head tutor of the Social Studies committee from 1967 to 1971 and as acting chairman of it thereafter.

Former Harvard Professor of Government Michael L. Walzer says Peretz was the "guiding light" of the department. "He did all the work," recalls Walzer, who was then chairman of the Committee. "I didn't have to."

But the most visible evidence of Peretz's work is any issue of The New Republic since 1975, when Peretz assumed the position of editor-in-chief after a year's apprenticeship. During his year of training for the job, he maintained his responsibilities as Master of South House.

Peretz describes his position at the magazine as "a general conceptualizing of each issue." He adds, "Vague as it may seem, it's a time-consuming enterprise."

But Peretz still finds time to teach at Harvard.

"Once you've had the experience of teaching students--and being stretched by students--it's a reward that you wouldn't want to forfeit. And that's why I've been eager to retain the possibility of teaching students," Peretz explains.

However, serving as Master of South House from 1971 to 1974. Peretz said he found it "less gratifying" to work with students in a social environment than in an intellectual one.

Reflections

Looking back at the '60s, when he began teaching Harvard students. Peretz says they resemble the students he has today.

"They are intellectually serious, morally serious, but not morally inflamed," says Peretz. But he says he thinks that the Core Curriculum has changed the character of his students but not the quality. "It's absolutely palpable in conversations with students," says Perets. "There's more of a common concern. It's no longer the wholly lainnez-faire attitude towards getting an education."

He also notes that there have been changes in Harvard's administration since "the rather stuffy and inbred years before 1970." "I think the most important thing (in the change) was that Derek Bok was not a Harvard man," says Peretz.

There have been changes at The New Republic also, But there changes have been notably of Peretz's making.

"The political heart of [the magazine] is will left of center," says New Republic editor Hendrik Hertzberg '65. "But the weight is more on the right side of the spectrum."

"Some people feel the [The New Republic] has turned away from liberalism," says Peretz. "I think I do not think that the U.S. is responsible for all the wickedness of the world," he explains, adding, "There are some liberals and radicals who think that is the case."

For example Peretz says he thinks that American forest in Grenads were deployed "correctly and jointly." He adds that he fools the same about the labels U. S. action there "squeamish," because American troops have been unable to complete the "mission" he sees there. There have been, he says, "dishonest rhetorical demands from some people in Congress and the State Department."

Peretz describes his views on foreign policy as "old-fashioned liberal sentiment."

"The kind of society Reagan is building won't be able to support a strong foreign policy," he says. "I know what view of society animated Reagan. He says to a certain class of Americans, I am your President, enrich yourselves. It's a kind of conservatism without moral obligation, a rapacious self-enriching doctrine."

Peretz says his concern with foreign policy in the Middle East stems from the fact that he considers himself a Zionist.

"I became more deeply involved when I noticed that people I had been involved with in politics were without understanding of the particular political problems of Israel and the fragile status of Jews in the world. These people were anti-Israel and [in some cases] anti-Semitic."

Peretz's political views are part of his life-blood, says Walzer. "His commitment to left liberal politics and Zionist politics is not something separable from the person he is."

And Peretz's commitment to teaching is equally strong. The Talmud says that teachers become their students, says Peretz. "I see little bits of myself in my students and that's a very gratifying experience."

"I think a lot of faculty members deny themselves the real reward of the vocation by allowing the relationship to stop outside the classroom." Peretz continues, adding, "some of the most important friendships of my life have been students of mine at one time.