McNerney Wrestles to Fourth At National Championships

By John N. Riccardi and G. ROBERT Strauss

In what Harvard wrestling Coach Johnny Lee called "the finest wrestling exhibition that I can remember," senior Tri-Captain Andy McNerney fought his way this weekend to the highest finish in the NCAA Championships that any Harvard wrestler since Lee himself took third place in 1953.

Finishing fourth in his 142-lb weight class at the Oklahoma City tourney, McNerney demonstrated the excellence and persistence that carried him to his perfect 23-0 regular-season record.

"McNerney was all heart out there," Lee said. "He worked hard all season and has improved consistently." The week before the tournament, McNerney had received the team's Most Improved Wrestling award.

Seeded ninth in what was, according to Lee, "the toughest weight class in the tournament," McNerney had to overcome opponents from some of the top wrestling schools in the country.

"After an east first-round victory, McNerney took on Cal State-Bakersfield's Jesse Reyes.

In a surprisingly short match, McNerney jumper out to a 14-0 lead before scoring a pin at the 2:40 mark of the bout. Humbling one formidable opponent after another, McNerney then handled Randy Conrad, the powerfully built Big Eight Conference Champ from Iowa St., 5-3.

From there, McNerney entered the semifinal round against the only collegian who has defeated him this year, Daryl Burley from Lehigh. In a rematch of the Eastern final, McNerney dropped a 10-5 decision to Burley, a wrestler who completed his college career with only two losses and who went on to win this year's national crown.