SoHo Nixes Union Resolution

But Support for Food Union Builds

By Michael F.P. Dorning

The South House Committee last night became the second such group to reject a resolution supporting Harvard food service workers in upcoming contract talks with the University.

But 10 Houses have passed the resolution, which calls for a "fair contract" and supports dining hall workers "in their fight for better working conditions, benefits, and especially job security," House Committee spokesmen said recently.

The Undergraduate Council and Freshman Council have also endorsed the resolution. Michelle Rago '85, chairman of a student committee supporting the food service workers' union, said yesterday. Rago added that close to 1000 students have signed a petition supporting the resolution.

Indecision

The South House Committee voted down the resolution because members felt they could not make a decision on the matter without hearing the University's point of view, Elizabeth A. Wanger '85, chairman of the committee, said yesterday.

The group instead decided to pass information about the contract on to South House residents and to publicize the petition supporting the endorsement, Wanger said. She declined to speculate on any future action the House Committee might take.

But Rago said her committee may ask for a referendum on the issue at South House and Kirkland House, which she voted against the resolution.

Rago downplayed the importance of the two Houses' rejection of the endorsement, adding that the petitions and other House endorsements reflect strong campus backing for the workers.

And Domenic M. Bozzotto, president of International Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Employees and Bartenders Local 26, which represents the food service workers, agreed that the student support for the union has been very good so far.

"To get 10 out of 13 Houses is remarkable," Bozzotto said. "We're ecstatic."

Bozzotto said he did not know what effect the student support would have on contract negotiations, but added that it has already increased the morale of union members.

Harvard's chief labor negotiator Edward W. Powers said, however, that he felt the University's stance was not that far from the position expressed in the student resolution.

If the call for better benefits were excluded. Powers said, "I would sign that, I think they should have a fair contract, better working conditions, and job security."

Powers explained that he feels the current contract is fair and asserted that it has the highest combination of wages and benefits for food service workers in the Boston area, with the possible exception of MIT.

He Harvard food service worker has ever been laid off. Powers added, questioning the call for job security.

The food service workers union has asked the University for an across-the-board dollar-on-hour wage hike and free medical insurance, as well as seniority-based promotions and a ban on subcontracting food service operations to outside catering agencies. The University has not yet released its proposals for contract changes.

The union's, three-year agreement with the University expires June 19.

According to Food Service officials, students pay about 90 percent of dining hall workers' wages and benefits through their board fees