Dana Palmer Burglary Suspect Held in Middlesex County Jail

By Adam H. Gorfain

A 25-year-old Boston man was in jail yesterday on charges of breaking into Dana Palmer House this week and stealing a number of items from a room there, police said.

Charles T. Doherty was being held in the Middlesex County Jail yesterday in lieu of $250 cash barl, a corrections officer who refused to identify himself reported.

The House is a Colonial-style building next to the Harvard Faculty Club, frequently used to house visiting dignitaries or professors Police said the burglarized room was unoccupied during the Monday night incident.

Harvard Police Deputy Police Chief Jack W. Morse said yesterday that Doherty broke into the building by smashing a ground floor window. When police arrested Doherty close to the scene of the crime at about 11 p.m. Monday, police said, his hands were cut and he was carrying sever it items.

Morse said Doherty had a small wooden statue, same candlesticks and a brass end-iron for a replace in his possession when he was taken into custody. The items taken from the room Morse added, were worth more than $100.

Morse said police, were alerted to the burglary by the caretaker of the house, who called them when she heard the window break.

Other incidents reported to Harvard and Cambridge Police during the period from Arpil 20 to 26 included.

Lockers Looted: A silver Swiss watch valued at $200 and $39 in cash were reported stolen from two locked lockers in the Hemenway Gym between noon and 6.35 p.m. last Saturday.

Ring Missing: A silver, diamond-studded ring worth $50 and $4 in cash were reported stolen from an unlocked Lowell House Hentry room between 5:30 and 4:45 p.m. Monday.

Library Loot Lifted: Someone unlocked a Lamont Library filing cabinet and took $30 from an unlocked petty cash box in a drawer sometime between last Saturday and Monday, police were told.

Computer Capers: As IBM computer keyboard and two computer printer ribbon cartridges were reported stolen from the east terminal room at the Science Center between last Friday and Tuesday.

The thefts were among 10 of more than $100 and seven of less than $100 reported to Harvard Police during the week ending Thursday.