Author Blasts SAT Use In College Admissions

By Carol M. Losos

Millions of college sound high school seniors no doubt agree entirely with how author David Owen '78 feels about the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT): "I say get rid of it."

In a speech before about 75 people last night at the Kennedy School Forum. Owen charged that 'the SAT allows a small handful of selective schools to pay less for an admissions process for a small handful of students on the basis of a poorly written test."

Owen, whose look "None of the Above: The Myth of Scholastic Aptitude" will hit the book stores later this month, charged that contrary for Educational Testing Service claims, success on the SAT doesn't indicate you are a good student-just a good test taker.

Owen also said the SAT has perpetuated the educational differences between Blacks and whites in America. Blacks have consistently scored 100 points lower than whites on the 1600-points test, he said, adding that "if colleges really based decisions on [Just] SAT scores, there would be virtually no Blacks on selective college campuses."

"It's a slap in the face It's like saving [to Black students], "Come to our college, even through you're not really qualified,'" Owen said.

Despite Owen's criticisms, many admissions officers say the SAT is a needed. National standard which they said is necessary for making admissions decisions.

One former Ivy League admissions after or last night's speech-who asked not to be named-said," I basically agree with Owen. The SAT is biased in many ways and is not necessarily an accurate predictor of what students will do in college. But some objective-in quotation marks-national measure is needed."