Tribe Wigs Wam-less Gridders, 24-0

Harvard Cut Down Again

By Bob Cunha, Special to The Crimson

WILLIAMSBURG, VA.--For the first time in nearly half a century, the Harvard football team suffered its second consecutive shutout loss Saturday, dropping a lopsided 24-0 decision to nationally-ranked William & Mary before 13,100 fans at Cary Field.

The Tribe (4-0), ranked fifth last week in Division I-AA, was led by shifty scatback Michael Clemons and free-slinging quarterback Ken Lambiotte. The bulky William & Mary defense held the Crimson (1-2 overall, 1-0 Ivy) in check, extending Harvard's scoreless streak to nine periods.

"That's the way it goes," an imperturbable Crimson Coach Joe Restic said afterwards. "We're just trying to put some points on the board."

Harvard can take some comfort in the fact that its debacles against William & Mary and Holy Cross (a 41-0 defeat last week) will not count in the league standings. Only the Crimson's opening day 34-0 demolition of Columbia is registered on the Ivy slate.

Harvard continues its feast-or-famine season against Ivy upstart Cornell next Saturday at the Stadium.

Restic's troops hope they can display more proficiency against the Big Red than they showed here against the Indians. Harvard crossed into enemy territory only three times, and never got inside the 20. Two long field goal attempts by Andy Maretz were as close as the Crimson came to scoring.

William & Mary has certainly come a long way since former Coach Lou Holtz said that he had too many Marys and not enough Bills. The Tribe is off to its best start since 1971, and Saturday marked its seventh consecutive win, its ninth straight at home.

One big reason for that success is 5-ft., 5-in., 166-lb. Clemons, the littlest Indian. Clemons amassed 63 yards rushing, caught five passes, and returned eight punts for 75 yards.

A leading candidate for I-AA All-America honors, Clemons showed off his jets on two touchdown scampers that left Harvard defenders scratchingtheir helmets.

William & Mary scored all of its points in thefirst half, and the scoring drives were lighteningquick. The first and longest drive, which tickedonly two minutes off the clock, was capped by atouchdown toss from Lambiotte (24 for 33, 233yards, no interceptions, one touchdown) towide-open wide receiver Harry Mehre, who had fivecatches on the day for 79 yards.

The Indian defense also strutted its stuff,posting its first shutout in seven years.Pre-season All-America linebacker Dave Pocta ledthe swarming William & Mary defensive crew with 13tackles.

The Harvard offense didn't provide much spark,especially with first-string quarterback DaveLandau and fullback Brian O'Neill both sidelinedwith shoulder injuries. Fullback Dave Bunning tookmost of the rushing burden, as he picked up 47yards on 10 carries.

Quarterback Bill Koehler stepped into Landau'sspot credibly, completing 11 passes in 20 attemptsover a blitzing, hard-rushing Tribe defense.Koehler also netted 44 yards on the ground,despite being sacked five times.

The brightest surprise for the Crimson was theplay of the defense in the second half. Despitehaving given up 65 unanswered points, thedefenders toughened up, keying on Clemons andshutting down Lambiotte.

Harvard defenders never wilted in the 87-degreeheat, as Captain and linebacker Scott Collins ledthe Crimson with 14 tackles, three of them forlosses. Defensive linemen Greg Williams, MikeHirshland and Brian Sullivan each chipped in withtwo sacks.

"I'm optimistic for our Ivy League schedule,especially after the second half," said Collins,who was proud of his team's playing even with thenation's number-five squad in the second half.

The gridders resume their Ivy slate thisSaturday when Cornell (2-1, 1-0 Ivy) visits theStadium. "Cornell is our Ivy League game of theyear. We have to establish ourselves," Resticsaid. "It's a new season."CrimsonBruce M. KluckhohnSecond-string Harvard quarterback BILLKOEHLER (seen here in earlier action) did anadmirable job filling in for injured starter DAVIDLANDAU, completing 11 of 20 passes and rushing for44 yards in Saturday's 24-0 loss to William andMary.