Ex-Proctor Commits Suicide

By Mac LA Follette

A Harvard graduate, who was an officer of her class and was a proctor at Lionel Hall until last year, committed suicide nine days ago in her apartment in Worcester.

Dr. Mary Ellen Mangano '80 hung herself in her residence on February 15, said the county medical examiner, Dr. Vern Adams. Mangano was 28 years old.

Mangano graduated cum laude and was class secretary. She was a member of the Harvard women's swim team from 1976 to 1979 and was the first woman elected to the Harvard Varsity Club's Board of Directors. She was also the first woman elected to the Association of Harvard Class Secretaries.

The Belmont, Mass. native served as a proctor at Lionel Hall's A entry for five years. Lionel residents whom Mangano advised said she was hardworking, industrious and independent.

After completing her medical studies at Tufts University Medical School last May, she began her first year surgery residency at the University of Massachussetts Hospital in Worcester. She worked there for Dr. Peter E. Rice who said yesterday, "she cared very much for her patients."

She is survived by her parents, Dr. Salvatore N. and Anna Stevenson Mangano of Belmont and two brothers, Paul and John Mangano, both of Belmont.